On February 26, celebrities will arrive at Hollywood’s Dolby Theatre in their best and sexiest threads to strut the red carpet. Some are there to be seen and others are hoping to win a coveted Oscar. Whether you watch for the fashion, the lack thereof, or because you’re a cinephile, there are creative ways to have fun while the best actors and films of 2016 are revealed.
For example, it’s not too late to throw together an inexpensive soiree for a few friends. Here are a few easy tips for hosting a last-minute Oscar Night party for under $50:
- Quickly send an evite of your choice (Slack, Facebook event or even just a group text) to your friends.
- Make it fun by asking everyone to dress in their red carpet best – or – make it funny and ask them to dress as a Hollywood mess.
- A simple red carpet for only $14 can make a big impression inside your front door or outside your dorm room.
- What’s a red carpet without the paparazzi? ($7) Hang these on the wall near your red carpet for the full effect.
- Purchase mini Oscars ($9/6pk.) to hand out throughout the night. (Make up categories, such as: “Best Conversation Interrupter” or “Epic Spill”)
- A few hanging decorations will help liven up your living or dorm room. These spiral foil ones ($8) make a big impact for a low price.
- Lastly, what better snack to feed your guests than popcorn! Microwave is the easiest for most ($5/10pk.). If you have an air popper, go for it and save a little extra cash.
- Ask your friends to bring liquid contributions. Craft beer is a fan favorite, and hey, you did all this Academy Awards-themed decorating … may I suggest Oskar Blues Brewing?
Total party cost: $43 (not including alcohol)
If decorating isn’t your bag, you just increased your beer budget tremendously. Either way, and at the very least, you should play our Oscar Night Drinking Game:
Print it out, play and let us know how you did!
Become a patron today to get exclusive perks, like access to our exclusive Discord community and our monthly comic book club, ad-free browsing on aiptcomics.com, a physical trade paperback sent to your house every month, and more!