To prevent a future disaster, Miguel O’Hara must first stop The Fist (heh). Unfortunately, that also means pumping Electro 2099 for information, which does not appear to be a promising proposition.
Spider-Man 2099 #22 (Marvel Comics)
- If you’re going to torture a living ball of electricity, why not just show him commercials for natural gas?
- Oh Lyla, please don’t do this…
- You have got to be kidding me.
- GOOD LORD!
- Oh snap.
- Well played, Peter David. Well played…
No joke: For most of the issue, the thought running through my head was “Peter David is way too good a writer for a hack script like this.” Turns out that Mr. David pulled a total rope-a-dope. What started off looking like a lazy bit of character development ends up leading into an exceptionally cool moment.
That being said, it is a tad frustrating that so much of the issue was taken up by something that wasn’t very enjoyable to read. But in David’s defense, he sells the premise incredibly well. Even for those of you who figure out what’s going on (I didn’t until the last few pages), the ending is both satisfying and exquisitely haunting.
On the art side of things, Will Sliney officially joins Tyler Crook in the rare group of artists who can draw “pretty pencils” that can shift to gut wrenching gore at a moment’s notice. We also get some great shots of Electro 2099, who makes the one from our time period seem like a bit of a chump.
So if you’re reading Spider-Man 2099 #22 and feel yourself becoming frustrated with how stupid the issue is, stick with it until the end. I swear on my collection of Spider-Man 2099 action figures that the conclusion will make worth your while.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!
You must be logged in to post a comment.