Last week’s episode of Game of Thrones saw Daenerys Targaryen jockey her full-grown dragon Drogon above battalions of Lannister soldiers like some frightening inverse of Atreyu atop Falcor and reduce them to smoldering heaps of cinder.
Did Jaime Lannister survive drowning after after he attempted to charge and kill Daenerys? Will we learn any more about the White Walker’s intentions?
Game of Thrones: Season 7, Episode 5 “Eastwatch”
Directed By: Matt Shakman
Written By: David Benioff & D. B. Weiss
- Quote of the week from my girlfriend, trash talking the Lannisters: “Your s--t just got blown up! Your army just got tore up! F--k you!” I think it’s safe to say she’s still rooting for Team Daenerys and Jon Snow, “her top two.”
- Not sure how long Bronn and Jaime were able to hold their breath underwater fully armored the whole time, but apparently it was long enough for Dany, Drogon and the rest of her forces to think “Eh, f--k it. Let’s just assume they drowned and move on.”
- “I’m not gonna be around when those things start spitting fire on King’s Landing,” Bronn says. Looks like Jaime and Bronn aren’t taking their loss to Daenerys and her dragon lightly, and rightfully so.
- Tyrion looks devastated as he surveys the aftermath of the Field of Fire 2.0. He’s on Dany’s side now, but as we saw last episode, watching the men from his rightful family’s house getting decimated like that is tough for him to stomach.
- Lord Tarly refuses to bend the knee to Daenerys. Dickon Tarly says they’ll have to kill him too. Tyrion tries to convince Dany to show leniency, as she’ll be wiping out another great house of Westeros by executing the father-son combo, but Dany essentially says, “They’ve made their choice. Deal with it.”
- Dracarys = overkill death for two Tarlys. They’re still painting Daenerys as having vestiges of Targaryen madness with scenes like this. Although, in Dany’s defense, she did give them a choice. When the Mad King executed Rickon and Brandon Stark by fire, the catalyst for Robert’s Rebellion (along with Rhaegar “kidnapping” Lyanna Stark), he didn’t exactly give them many options.
- Good to see Jaime finally trying to convince Cersei that they can’t win the war. He tells Cersei that Olenna confessed to the murder of Joffrey. “She should have died screaming,” Cersei says of Olenna. Cersei’s remaining stubborn and letting her lust for power cloud her judgement, as is to custom: “So we fight and die or we submit and die. I know my choice. A soldier should know his.”
- Dragon showdown with Jon Snow. D’aww, Drogon likes him because he smells the Targaryen blood. “They’re not beasts to me… they’re my children,” Dany says. Looks like Jon Snow’s pretty good with your kids, Dany. ::sly wink::
- Jorah Mormont reunites with Daenerys yet again. “I return to your service my queen, if you’ll have me.” Lord Friendzone has reentered the game.
- Back in Winterfell, there’s a cool sequence with Bran warging into a flock of ravens. He flies beyond the Wall, where we see the army of the dead looking absolutely massive. The Night King can see Bran warged in the ravens, which conjures memories of when The Night’s King marked Bran in S6E5.
- Interesting note from Reddit user ShmedStark about The Night King sensing Bran in the ravens:
The Night King sensing Bran warging the ravens could be a hint that he is also a skinchanger and greenseer. In the books, Varamyr was able to sense that Jon was a skinchanger, and while warging Summer, Bran was able to sense Varamyr’s presence in his wolf One Eye:
He had known what Snow was the moment he saw that great white direwolf stalking silent at his side. One skinchanger can always sense another. Mance should have let me take the direwolf. There would be a second life worthy of a king. He could have done it, he did not doubt. The gift was strong in Snow, but the youth was untaught, still fighting his nature when he should have gloried in it. (Prologue, ADWD)
- Back at the Citadel, Samwell tries to convince the Maesters to take the threat of the White Walkers seriously. As usual, they laugh him off. Which is why I’m glad he’s peacing out of the joint. I’m sad to see that he won’t be able to achieve his dream of becoming a Maester, but glad he realizes he’ll be more useful elsewhere.
- “Prince Ragger.” Sam interrupts Ginny, who was about to drop another megaton bomb confirmation of R+L=J — only this time we learn Rhaegar annulled his marriage to Elia Martell, making Jon Snow the legitimate heir to the throne. Even over Aunty Daenerys.
- Varys and Tyrion have a conversation comparing Dany to the Mad King. “Daenerys is not her father,” Tyrion says, proof that he still believes in her. “And she never will be,” Varys says. With the right counsel. You need to find a way to make her listen.”
- You’d think Cersei and Jaime have learned their lesson with incest babies at this point.
- Gendry’s back. “Thought you might still be rowing,” Davos says, because DB & DB have to throw in internet memes at least once an episode. Gendry wasn’t lying when he said he knew how to swing a warhammer. He’s definitely Robert’s son.
- Gendry has won me over with: “Our fathers trusted each other. So should we.” Ned and Bobby B.’s bromance was one of my favorite elements of Season 1, so I’m on board with Gendry and Jon Snow’s broship.
- Looks like we were on to something with this recent article about Littlefinger. He’s definitely hatching a plot to turn Arya and Sansa against each other, just like it looked like he was doing with Jon and Sansa previously. The spying match between Arya and Littlefinger was well done.
- Contrived? Maybe a little bit. Illogical plan? Yup. But you have to admit — the Seven that comprise the Gang of the North is pretty bad-ass. Best Reddit comment concerning the Fellowship of the Wall:
Want to share your own thoughts on Game of Thrones S7E5, “Eastwatch”? Sound off in the comments.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!