Happy Thanksgiving! Welcome back to the biggest brawl of X-gened heroes this side of the Marvel House of Ideas, the Last X-Man Standing Tournament. What started as a titanic tussle between 64 of the most stalwart super people ever to grace the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning has shed the excess, leaving only the most X-CEPTIONAL X-Men of all. After four rounds of voting, the unthinkable has happened: Wolverine–the best there is at what he does, the ol’ Canucklehead, captain sideburns–has been eliminated. In probably the biggest shock of the tournament thus far, the seductive psychic Psylocke has defeated Weapon X’s most celebrated alumnus with an astounding 60.3% of the vote. James Howlett is survived by his son, his clone, his alternate reality self, his… what’s that? He’s got the Infinity Gauntlet now? Oh OK. Logan’s doing just fine. Some other interesting facts coming out of round 3:
- Though last round evened things out a bit, Round 4 now overwhelmingly favors the X-Women, with five of the final eight competitors representing the fairer sex.
- This was a round of blowouts, with the winner of each matchup more than doubling the votes of their opponents. Storm keeps her title of the most dominant, with a 78.7% route of Rachel Summers. Psylocke’s 60% victory over Wolverine was the narrowest winning margin of the round.
- All three remaining male X-Men are energy manipulators. Not sure what to take from that, but it’s kinda neat.
- Rogue‘s is arguably the only physical power set left in the field. Yes, Cyclops’ optic blasts are physical concussive force, but it is certainly an energy ability.
- Despite more than 50 years of continuity and an expansive roster that has grown to encapsulate hundreds of characters, there are three members of the X-Men’s original roster remaining in the final eight competitors.
We’re coming down to the wire on the Last X-Man Standing Tournament, which means there are some insane altercations ahead in the quarter finals. In our first battle: Psylocke, the seeming sleeper story of the Last X-Man Standing Tournament, wages war with the well-worn womanly warrior that is Rogue! Our second bout pits the African weather goddess, Storm, against her dearest friend in the X-Men–and current leader on the Uncanny squad–Jean Grey! Our penultimate match sees two of the longest-serving X-Men square off in a battle of the teacher’s pet vs. the class clown when Cyclops goes toe-to-toe with Iceman. Our last round is a showdown between two reformed (then relapsed… the reformed again… but currently relapsed again) villains that have led their own X-teams in recent years, as Magneto, the master of magnetism, takes on the recently re-christened Black Queen of the Hellfire Club, Emma Frost!
Here’s an updated look at the brackets:Round 4 voting is now open and will close Sunday, November 25. Check back next Monday, November 26 for the results and the Semi-Finals!
Since their debut in 1963, the X-Men have sworn to protect a world that hates and fears them. But you know what? Here at AiPT!, we’ve got nothing but love for Marvel’s mighty mutants! To celebrate the long-awaited return of Uncanny X-Men, AiPT! Brings you UNCANNY X-MONTH: 30 days of original X-Men content. Hope you survive the experience…
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!