Welcome back, True Believers, to the Last X-Man Standing Tournament, the only non-crossover where you’ll see all of Marvel’s mightiest mutants fighting to see who is the best of the best. When we last left the fracas, we were down to the Elite 8–and the surprise Cinderella story of the tournament continues to be the resurgent Psylocke, who bested Rogue with 60% of the vote in the latest in a line of gutsy wins for the canny Brit. Over the past several weeks, Betsy has bested the metallic Mercury, halted the unstoppable Juggernaut, and proved that SHE is the best there is at what she does with last round’s defeat of early favorite, Wolverine. Heading into the semifinals, does the purple-haired powerhouse have what it takes to run the field?
- Facing Betsy in the semis will be Jean Grey, whose 70.5% victory over Storm was the most commanding victory of the round. The Phoenix’s favorite host started the tournament with a win over the indomitable Armor, trounced the verdant vixen Polaris in Round 2, then outfoxed the fearsome X-23 en route to her bout with the weather witch. Can the scarlet psychic beat Betsy at her own game before taking the tournament altogether?
- In a showing of power over skill, Bobby Drake skates into the semis with a narrow victory over Cyclops (51% to 49%). Scott Summers is not the first member of the original X-men to fall to the insidious Iceman, as Bobby shut out the anarchic Archangel in the last round–topping Cannonball and Siryn in the process as well. Can the frigid fighter fend off the competition to be named the ultimate X-Man?
- Our final spot in the semifinals goes to the master of magnetism, Magneto, whose 50.3% route of Emma Frost was the narrowest margin of victory in the round. Magneto’s path to the semis was no walk in the park, either, as he’s toppled such X-people as Dust, Magik and Cable in the process. Can the X-Men’s once/future nemesis prove to be the supreme scion of homo superior?
The Semifinals represent a unique confluence of X-Men tropes, as two of the team’s most powerful psychics face off on one end, while two of the most expert energy manipulators tangle on the other. One battle pits two of the most celebrated X-women while the other sees two of the most sympathetic male mutants on the roster. Two members of the final four are members of the original team, two have transferred their consciousnesses into more than one body, three of them debuted in the same issue (X-Men #1) in 1963, and all four have been villains at one point or another. With all that said, it’s up to YOU, X-Fan, to decide who will make it to the finals of this tournament. Who will win the battle of wits between a British ninja telekinetic and the redheaded telepath who has literally destroyed entire planets? When the X-Men’s most vaunted villain shows off against the team’s longest-serving member?
Here’s a look at the updated brackets:Round 5 voting is now open and will close Tuesday, November 27 at 5 p.m. EST. Check back Wednesday, November 28 for the results and the Finals!
Since their debut in 1963, the X-Men have sworn to protect a world that hates and fears them. But you know what? Here at AiPT!, we’ve got nothing but love for Marvel’s mighty mutants! To celebrate the long-awaited return of Uncanny X-Men, AiPT! Brings you UNCANNY X-MONTH: 30 days of original X-Men content. Hope you survive the experience…
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!