More dimension hopping, awkward/adorable flirting, and a big guest star shows up in “Sitting in a Tree,” Part 4.
Spider-Gwen #17 (Marvel Comics)
- Peter Parker might be on to something: What if there are multiple Porcupines out there?
- There’s a karaoke earth/dimension? Sign me up! (As long as no one else laughs at me when I predictably fail).
- Still better than leaving a note, but still all types of cheesy.
- PREACH, GWEN! Themed crooks really are the dumbest thing ever.
- To be fair, I can never find batteries for my Fitbit. Maybe that’s what the themed crooks were stealing.
- The Earth-65 version of Jefferson Davis is a colossal douche.
- Gotta agree with Miles: Spider-Sense totally let him down.
- That being said, this is kind of awesome to watch unfold.
- Get ‘em, Gwen.
On one hand, this issue drags a bit compared to the others in the crossover. Aside from watching our heroes (and a couple guest stars) beat up a few inept henchmen, there’s hardly any action at all.
On the other hand, however, Spider-Gwen #17 offers what might be the best dialogue we’ve seen so far—which is really saying something for this story—courtesy of a great moment that I don’t want to spoil here. Let’s just say that if there’s one superhero friend/ally Miles didn’t want to show up while he’s with Gwen, it’s this one.
As expected, the artwork and paneling are great. It’s also a real treat to see Robbi Rodriguez draw some major characters from the main/616 Marvel Universe. Jason Latour also voices both characters perfectly, particularly Spider-Man, whose dad-level humor contrasts perfectly with Miles’.
With the promise of a big revelation to come…and four great issues so far…Sitting in a Tree is shaping to be a classic Spider-Man crossover—or at the very least a great story. Either way, it most definitely belongs on every Spider-fan’s pull list.
Like what we do here at AIPT? Consider supporting us and independent comics journalism by becoming a patron today! In addition to our sincere thanks, you can browse AIPT ad-free, gain access to our vibrant Discord community of patrons and staff members, get trade paperbacks sent to your house every month, and a lot more. Click the button below to get started!