BOOM! Studios continues its first Buffyverse crossover as we follow Angel and Buffy’s dive into the abyss.
Snappy Spoiler-Lite Recap
- In case you forgot, Hell is other people.
- Hey Angel, maybe being surrounded by demons and monsters isn’t the best time to lecture a slayer on the importance on stealth.
- “Wait, are you in a frat? Please don’t be in a frat.”
- Never a good sign when the dragon’s opening move involves speaking with you…
- …or manifesting itself as your mother.
- “Well, there goes thermometer.”
- This new version of Buffy and Angel make a pretty kick ass team, but I’m not sure what they’re supposed to do against this.
- “…every pretender killed.”
This is an action-heavy issue, which we definitely needed after the exposition-heavy opening. Artist Eleonora Carlini really goes to town on this one, too. In addition to her great line work, she makes fantastic use of paneling, charging each of the fight scenes with a kinetic energy that bursts off the page.
But credit where credit’s due: Writers Jordie Bellaire and Jeremy Lambert got it right this time. Part of me wants to be cynical and roll my eyes at the banter between these rebooted characters, but it’s just too good not to enjoy.
Yes, the plan on how Angel and Buffy are supposed to fight this is still incredibly vague. And yes, a demon that manifests itself as the protagonists’ loved ones/people they couldn’t save is tired and well-worn territory. But when it’s being drawn by Carlini and buffeted by some truly enjoyable dialogue, it’s enough to make you feel like the Buffyverse might finally be opening up along with the new Hellmouth.
Like what we do here at AIPT? Consider supporting us and independent comics journalism by becoming a patron today! In addition to our sincere thanks, you can browse AIPT ad-free, gain access to our vibrant Discord community of patrons and staff members, get trade paperbacks sent to your house every month, and a lot more. Click the button below to get started!