One of the major criticisms of All Elite Wrestling is that it’s hard to keep track of everything that doesn’t happen on Dynamite but may still affect storylines. Not everyone has the time to drop everything and watch every little piece of content AEW drops throughout the week, so I am starting a new weekly article where I hope to give an overview of anything that may have an impact on Dynamite, or whatever was just fun.
Being the Elite
- Kenny Omega and Colt Cabana have a Zoom call. After some initial resistance from Kenny, the two actually start talking. Kenny opens up to Colt that he’s pushed Colt away because he’s simply worried Colt may take his place, but then suggests Colt should be featured in a storyline. Colt is happy until Kenny says it will be maybe five months, a year, two years down the line, who knows? Suddenly, Colt is not happy.
- Private Party has been dealing with attacks from someone from their past, a giant stuffed teddy bear and a mysterious masked man stalking them. We discover that Hangman, from out in the woods, has been directing the attacks.
- Hangman Page, still wandering the woods, gives a huge speech pondering if he should go on back home or stay in the wilderness. He is obviously conflicted about if he should return to AEW or not. He leaves his future up in the air.
Road to Double or Nothing
- Tony Schiavone interviews Brodie Lee, who prefers to be called “Mr. Brodie”. They talk about the Dark Order until Schiavone asks if the Dark Order is a cult. Brodie gets upset and leaves.
- QT Marshall goes to Diamond Dallas Page for more advice. DDP criticizes QT’s finisher, asking him why he’s going to the top rope when he can’t compete with AEW’s other high flyers. He suggests QT stay on the ground, and to come back to him when he finds a new finisher.
- TH2 cuts a promo about Private Party, claiming they are arrogant and haven’t lived up to the hype. Jack Evans points out Angelico didn’t have his shoulders down when they last lost to Private Party. Jack Evans also uses vague fire-and-brimstone rhetoric and a long alliteration to proclaim they’re better than Private Party.
- MJF cuts a great promo on Jungle Boy. He claims that people shouldn’t cheer for Jungle Boy because he’s not an underdog — he was born from a position of privilege being Luke Perry’s son. MJF claims the only differences between the two is that Jungle Boy only pretends to be humble about his riches and MJF doesn’t pretend. Well, that and MJF is obviously the better wrestler.
- AEW World Champion Jon Moxley then talks about how he was excited to face Brodie Lee until he found out that he has this whole hit squad of minions. He points out he already had to beat up an entire faction to win the title and now he has to beat up an entire organization? Lastly, he says the reason he’s the best is because he goes into each fight to win or just not leave the ring.
- -Most of these are jobber matches. The people who won are Shida, QT Marshall, Marko Stunt, Jimmy Havoc and Kip Sabian tag teaming, Fenix, Luther, Private Party, Sammy Guevara, and Darby Allin.
- Thoughts on Dark:
- Shida was decent and I like her opponnent, Dani Jordyn’s mean girl gimmick. Jordyn isn’t amazing or anything, but does show promise.
- Havoc and Sabian have a fun dynamic being heels together.
- Sammy’s opponent, Alan Angels, is extremely fun and is pretty solid in the ring.
- Darby’s opponent was great as well. I’ve never heard of Serpentico but I absolutely love his mask. And he has impressive in-ring work as well.
- Sammy Guevara is still hurt in his vlog, but has found a new fire in him, dedicated to getting his revenge on Matt Hardy. Normally his blogs are extremely silly but here, Sammy is truly dedicated to getting revenge.
- Brandi announced something called AEW_Heels, seemingly directed at women. It’s still unclear what it is. A new faction? A website? Merch?
- Tony Khan gave a vague allusion to how the TNT Championship will work with relation to the weekly rankings. It needs to be clarified more though.
Like what we do here at AIPT? Consider supporting us and independent comics journalism by becoming a patron today! In addition to our sincere thanks, you can browse AIPT ad-free, gain access to our vibrant Discord community of patrons and staff members, get trade paperbacks sent to your house every month, and a lot more. Click the button below to get started!
Do you love wrestling? Do you have strong opinions on AEW, WWE, NJPW, Impact, ROH, and the independent scene? Do you like to write about wrestling? Then we want you on our team. AIPT is currently recruiting wrestling writers. Apply to write for AIPT today!