For weeks we’ve pondered what DC Comics is up to post DC Future State–a reality altering 2-month long event revealing alternate versions of our favorite heroes–and today The Hollywood Reporter has the scoop. The new era will kick off with Infinite Frontier No. 0 which is an special anthology issue to be released digitally and in comic book stores March 2, 2021.
The news comes after new creative teams have already been announced for Nightwing, The Joker, and more in the last few weeks. The new era kicks off with a treasure trove of creators like Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder, Becky Cloonan, James Tynion IV, Joelle Jones, Alitha Martinez, John Romita Jr. and more. There are now two single issues we know of that are kicking things off for DC Comics in 2021. The first is Dark Nights: Death Metal #7 which kicks off DC Future State and then Josh Williamson is spearheading Infinite Frontier with Infinite Frontier No. 0.
The full lineup of creators are:
- Joshua Williamson, Scott Snyder, and James Tynion IV with John Timms
- Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez
- Becky Cloonan and Michael W. Conrad with Alitha Martinez
- Geoff Johns and Todd Nauck
- Joshua Williamson and Alex Maleev
- James Tynion IV and Jorge Jiménez
- Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Jamal Igle
Talking to THR, Williamson said this one-shot anthology is using a framing device, “starring Wonder Woman and the Spectre, and we get to see sort of this sneak peek glimpse of what’s happening, and we get to play around with these big toys and have some fun, getting a good lead-in to 2021 for DC and beyond.”
Williamson makes clear it’s not a reboot, but a refresh. That said, this one-shot picks up pieces from Dark Nights: Death Metal and “it lets us move that ball forward a little bit and show kind of what’s going on with Wonder Woman and certain parts of the DCU. They act as our POV characters, they act as our witnesses, to this new DCU — I say “new DCU,” but it’s the same DCU fans love, it’s just time to move and to do like this next stage.”
The interview is littered with new creative team details and titles too like the teased Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez Justice League, a Teen Titans Academy series is on the way from Tim Sheridan and Rafa Sandoval featuring a new character called Red X, Geoff Johns is tackling a Stargirl short in the special with artist Todd Nauck, and Geoffrey Thorne and Dexter Soy deliver a Green Lantern story too. Williamson also revealed he’ll be writing an epilogue story with artist John Romita JR. that’ll tease what is to come right away and further on down the road.
DC Comics also gave us a few hints as to what is to come via a press release. Infinite Frontier will serve as a catalyst for these storylines:
- An unthinkable, unexpected attack by the Joker makes him the target of a worldwide dragnet with ex-cop Jim Gordon in hot pursuit in the ongoing series The Joker by James Tynion IV and Guillem March
- Spinning out of her breakout appearances in Future State: Wonder Woman and Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman, a young Yara Flor begins the search for her destiny and connection to the Amazons
- It’s orientation day at Titans Tower as Tim Sheridan and Rafa Sandoval introduce a new group of teen heroes (including the future Red X) to the original New Teen Titans, setting the table for the duo’s Teen Titans Academy series in March
- The adventures of the Justice League continue (beginning with Justice League #59), now written by Brian Michael Bendis with artist David Marquez, with new JL members, including Black Adam, Hippolyta, and Naomi
- Wonder Woman ventures into the “godsphere,” creating an exciting new storyline by Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad and Travis Moore, continuing in March’s Wonder Woman #770
- Award-winning writer Geoff Johns and Todd Nauck tell an all-new Stargirl story
I recommend checking out the full interview as there’s tidbits throughout.
Infinite Frontier is a 64-page comic and will retail for $5.99 for the main cover version and $6.99 for a cardstock variant.
Like what we do here at AIPT? Consider supporting us and independent comics journalism by becoming a patron today! In addition to our sincere thanks, you can browse AIPT ad-free, gain access to our vibrant Discord community of patrons and staff members, get trade paperbacks sent to your house every month, and a lot more. Click the button below to get started!