Wean off your Super Bowl high with a case of the Comic Book Previews. Symptoms include Red She-Hulk, Spider-Man and a customary dose of The Situation…wait, that’s not right. Be sure to scroll down to the bottom for a full list of the comics being released this week.
Dave’s Cover of the Week
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #20
Dave: I love the enormous animal-like version of Venom here, but what really sells me is his ability to beat Miles without even noticing! It’s like he’s glancing up going, “huh…what is that itch on my back I feel?” Pichelli once again draws an incredibly well-articulated Spidey body and the goopy mess ensnaring Miles is delectable.
Brendan: I love this ongoing thing where Venom is always somewhere between 2-4 times the size of spidey, and I LOVE that with Miles that number is expanded into the tens. It is super cute how Venom is looking up at more of an inconvenience than at a foe. I also love poor Miles’ reaction. He has no idea what he’s getting into!
Brendan’s Cover of the Week
Fairy Quest #1
Brendan: Cute characters galore! There is so much to look at in this cover I don’t know where to start. The characters are all unique and interesting and I think the color selection is awesome. I love how everything stands well on its own yet they also perfectly blend when combined.
Dave: The green fairy at the top right is filthy. Put some clothes on, you whore-mouthed sow! We’ve seen Ramos make the list on our preview many times, but usually for Spider-Man comics. It’s nice to see he’s got a lot of talent when it comes to creative content in the fantasy realm as well. This is yet another successful Kickstarter-funded comic and considering it’s a labor of love from Paul Jenkins and Ramos I can’t wait to read it.
Dave’s Honorable Mentions
Son of Merlin #1
Dave: Sejic is a favorite of ours here at the previews so it’s never a surprise to see his name under a cover we like. Obviously the glow of the magic words and the glow on our gal’s face sell the cover. This is a good example of a cover that can captivate the viewer without showing T&A.
Brendan: I love the way the book is aglow with magical properties. The floating words beautifully light up our heroine’s face and just fills me up with wonder.
Young Romance: A New 52 Valentine’s Day Special #1
Dave: Rubble looks nice. Cape is pretty rad. Coloring is quite good. What the hell is that wispy smoke lace thing going on? Eh whatever, it looks nice right? Oh wait…no the problem I have here is the position of the heroes and yet…and yet…we can see WW’s ass and breasts very clearly. Sex sells comics and I’m appalled! I just love how the boots, Supes’ costume and WW’s hair are all shining.
Brendan: I don’t think there’s any foul gratuity at play here. Wondie’s outfit is revealing by nature so to see a little squish and crack isn’t that astounding. Beyond that this entire cover is beautiful. The colors, the pencils, the setting and the romantic action is completely top notch.
Brendan’s Honorable Mentions
Brendan: Say what you will, but when push comes to shove Hughes is a fantastic artist. I love covers like this because it really showcases that he isn’t fixed to his cheesecake. He can do pretty and he can do haunting. I’d be surprised to find something he can’t do.
Dave: It’s certainly interesting on multiple levels, from the paint-splattered background to the rust color at the bottom left. I particularly like how the hair looks like liquid.
Red She-Hulk #62
Brendan: Here is another “so much to love” cover. Everything just works perfectly: The dark moody sky, the glowing cityscape, our lady in her statuesque pose, not to mention the small details that you may miss on first viewing.
Dave: What the eff is that shiny goo running down the skyscraper on the left? I say that what did this were giant slugs. Acid slugs that burned Captain America to dust. It’s a very nice cover. My only gripe is I don’t know if that’s water at the bottom or cement or what.
Where we don’t understand, are insulted by or would rather stab our eyes with acid pops than look at these covers for various reasons.
Phantom Stranger #5
Brendan: Don’t get me wrong, I love this cover. I think this cover is cool and interesting and the art is incredible. But the message being portrayed is genuine WTF material. The way The Spectre is ripping his way out of PS’ eye socket is truly unnerving.
Dave: I’ve always loved Jae Lee’s ability to capture The Weird. What do I mean by The Weird? Even when it’s messed up, strange or creepy it still looks cool.
Dave: Dear god, what the f--k is this s--t?! A drawing should never look as if the head was Photoshopped. That’s just sloppy and a complete disgrace. That and I haven’t even mentioned how dumb it is to even make a comic about the Jersey Shore alumni. There is more wrong with this cover then there is right.
Brendan: The most depressing thing about this cover is that they missed the Jersey Shore fame-train by a good year and a half. We’re already reaching the point in our society where people are going to look at this hackjob of the cover and say “who is the Situation, anyway?”
Comics Being Released This Week
This is a cleaned up list via ComicList.com. Comic availability subject to change.
- BOOM! Studios
- Adventure Time With Fionna And Cake #2 (Of 6), $3.99
- Fairy Quest #1 (Of 2), $3.99
- Hypernaturals #8, $3.99
- Planet Of The Apes Cataclysm #6, $3.99
- Dark Horse
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Willow Wonderland #4 (Of 5), $2.99
- Colder #4 (Of 5), $3.99
- Hellboy In Hell #3, $2.99
- Rex Mundi Omnibus Volume 2 TP, $24.99
- Star Wars #1 (Alex Ross 2nd Printing Variant Cover), $2.99
- Star Wars Dark Times Fire Carrier #1 (Of 5), $2.99
- DC COMICS
- Animal Man #17, $2.99
- Batwing #17, $2.99
- Detective Comics #17, $3.99
- Dial H #9, $2.99
- Earth 2 #9, $2.99
- Fairest #12, $2.99
- Green Arrow #17 $2.99
- Human Bomb #3 (Of 4), $2.99
- Insurgent #2 (Of 6), $2.99
- Legends Of The Dark Knight #5, $3.99
- Looney Tunes #211, $2.99
- New Deadwardians TP, $14.99
- Phantom Stranger #5, $2.99
- Scooby-Doo Where Are You #30, $2.99
- Smallville Season 11 #10, $3.99
- Stormwatch #17, $2.99
- Swamp Thing #17, $2.99
- Worlds’ Finest #9, $2.99
- Young Romance A New 52 Valentine’s Day Special #1, $7.99
- Adventures Of Augusta Wind #4 (Of 5), $3.99
- Crow Skinning The Wolves #3 (Of 3), $3.99
- Doctor Who #5, $3.99
- G.I. JOE A Real American Hero #187, $3.99
- Joe Palooka #3 (Of 6), $3.99
- My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic #3, $3.99
- Snakes Eyes And Storm Shadow #21 (Of 21), $3.99
- Star Trek #17, $3.99
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #18, $3.99
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Color Classics #9, $3.99
- Transformers More Than Meets The Eye #13, $3.99
- Transformers Prime Rage Of The Dinobots #3 (Of 4), $3.99
- Transformers Spotlight Megatron (One Shot), $3.99
- Image Comics
- 68 Scars #4 (Of 4), $3.99
- Blackacre #3, $2.99
- Dia De Los Muertas #1 (Of 3), $4.99
- Epic Kill #8, $2.99
- Great Pacific #4, $2.99
- Guarding The Globe #6, $2.99
- I Love Trouble #3, $2.99
- Mudman #6, $3.50
- Multiple Warheads From Alphabet To Infinity #4 (Of 4), $2.99
- Perhapanauts Danger Down Under #4 (Of 4), $3.50
- Repossessed #2 (Of 4), $2.99
- Snapshot #1 (Of 4), $2.99
- Son Of Merlin #1, $1.00
- Super Dinosaur #17, $2.99
- Think Tank #5, $3.99
- Youngblood #76, $3.99
- MARVEL COMICS
- All-New X-Men #5, $3.99
- Avengers #5, $3.99
- Avengers Assemble Annual #1, $4.99
- Daredevil End Of Days #5 (Of 8), $3.99
- Fearless Defenders #1, $2.99
- Hit-Girl #5 (Of 5), $4.99
- Iron Man #6, $3.99
- Marvel’s Iron Man 3 Prelude #2 (Of 2), $2.99
- Monsters Inc The Humanween Party #1 (Of 1), $2.99
- New Avengers #3, $3.99
- Red She-Hulk #62, $2.99
- Road To Oz #5 (Of 6), $3.99
- Secret Avengers #37 (Final Issue), AR
- Superior Spider-Man #3, $3.99
- Thunderbolts #4, $2.99
- Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #20, $3.99
- Venom #31, $2.99
- Winter Soldier #15, $2.99
- X-Factor #251, $2.99
- Valiant ENTERTAINMENT
- Harbinger #0, $3.99
- Shadowman #4, $3.99
- Zenescope ENTERTAINMENT
- Grimm Fairy Tales Myths And Legends #25, $5.99
- Grimm Fairy Tales #82, $2.99
- Grimm Fairy Tales Presents Robyn Hood #5 (Of 5), $4.99
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!
Sign up today