We may not have an ongoing Godzilla series right now, but IDW is helping to fill the gap with another miniseries, this time by Joshua Fialkov (writer) and Brian Churilla (artist). Is it good?
Godzilla: Oblivion #1 (IDW Publishing)
- Far be it from me to backseat narrate, but I think everyone should be listening to the character who recognizes that the rest of the cast is falling into a classic/lethal science fiction trope.
- …and sure enough, here comes the death.
- It’s nice to see Godzilla getting the respect he deserves—even if it is in an alternate reality/parallel universe.
- We all saw this ending coming, but the appearance of [SPOILER] is still pretty cool.
Is It Good?
I’ve been a Josh Fialkov fan since 2007, when he broke onto the scene with his excellent limited series, Elk’s Run (which you absolutely must read if you haven’t already). Because of that, I’m willing to give this story a chance.
Taken on its own merits so far, however….yeesh.
I know don’t know if this is going to end up being a some type of crazy meta hook or something, but we start with a character plainly stating how ridiculous/clichéd the story’s setup is. The rest of the issue’s dialogue is fairly stilted, to say nothing of the bizarre pacing. These are both areas where Failkov is normally superb, so I’m hoping this was just an issue of the main story’s setup constricting the current narrative.
On the art side of things, Brian Churilla can draw the heck out of some monsters. His humans, on the other hand, are a little too cartoony for my tastes. Fortunately, he goes to town on the last few pages with a cool rendering of a kaiju every Godzilla fan will be happy to see.
Let’s hope this leads to better things next month.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!