After a stellar opening chapter, Divinity II returns this month with its second issue.
Is it good?
Divinity II (Valiant Entertainment)
- A world in which Putin has access to unlimited power looks a little too much like the one we actually live in.
- Uh…wait…who are these people?
- Oh yeah. They’re the team of superheroes I don’t really keep up with.
- That has got to be one of the most depressing ways to die that I’ve ever seen.
- Heh. Good old Divinity. Still a gentlemen. Still a badass.
- Now this is a fight!
- …er, that was a fight. Yikes.
- Geez, Myshka is really going for a throwback on the totalitarian theme.
Is It Good?
First of all, hats off to Matt Kindt for making this issue accessible to folks like me who don’t read much work set in the Valiant universe. Even though I had no idea who these super powered people were, he made the characters (and what has happened since the first Divinity series) very accessible.
That said, I was a bit disappointed to see this issue of Divinity II follow almost the exact same trajectory as the first one. While this chapter did give us quite a bit more cosmic fisticuffs, the ending felt more like a repeat than a parallel. It has the potential to lead to some very cool stuff, but that also brings us to my next quibble: We never got to actually SEE what the end of the first issue promised.
Oh sure, we’re given a few glimpses of what Putin has been up to, but I had hoped to see a lot more. If Divinity II really is as powerful as she seems, then there should be quite a bit more happening than the world turning into a Fox News report.
On the art side of things, Trevor Hairsine continues to knock it out of the park. He’s not given as much cosmic material to work with this time, but still manages to make even the bleakest pages look beautiful—and the fight between the two god people is absolutely superb. Unfortunately, that may be the only one we get if the last few pages hold. Either way, I’m excited to see what happens next…hopefully onscreen/page this time.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!