After a rocky first couple issues, Godzilla: Oblivion returns with a new installment that looks to have quite a bit more action than we’ve seen so far. Is it good?
Godzilla: Oblivion #3 (IDW Publishing)
- YES! KAIJU FIGHT!
- GODZILLA VS. KING GHIDORA! THIS IS AWESOME!
- …but I sure wish these human characters would stop their existential whining over this awesome battle.
- Like, seriously, please shut up.
- Heh. Godzila just got armpitted.
- Not sure why they didn’t do that first, but I whole-heartedly approve of this new plan.
Is It Good?
While Brian Churilla’s human renderings aren’t great, he more than makes up for it with the monsters. Unlike last issue, we get to see the kaiju action in all its real-time glory. Churilla not only draws Godzilla and Ghidorah exceptionally well, but also injects their battle with tons of kinetic energy–aided in no small part by some bizarre (and cool) panel layouts.
The script is also much better this time around. Unfortunately, it still doesn’t serve the story. Fialkov’s dialogue is good on its own, but the conversation between these (completely unlikable) characters doesn’t mesh well at all with the battle we’re watching on the page.
That said, things even out pretty well by the end of the issue. There’s also an excellent cliffhanger that makes me think/hope this series might finally be heading in the right direction. Godzilla: Oblivion #3 isn’t anything to write home about, but it’s still a whole lot better than what we’ve seen before.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!