Last issue, a seemingly possessed Mulder went on a road trip, leaving Scully to wonder just what in the hell was going on. This week, we (hopefully) start getting some anwers.
Is it good?
The X-Files #7 (IDW Publishing)
- Never trust a dude riding a horse and wearing a welder’s mask.
- Either Mulder is having a wicked case of diarrhea-induced hallucinations or I have no idea what’s going on.
- Scully doesn’t have time for appointments.
- Yeah, that humanitarian dude is still creeping me out.
- And so is Mulder. Good lord, get a hold of yourself, man!
- Was it really necessary to burn that piece of paper AND throw it in the garbage can?
- Or for that woman to stab herself in the eye?!
Is It Good?
From a style standpoint, it’s superb. Unfortunately, the substance behind the narrative is severely lacking.
Maybe I’m just not smart enough to get whatever deep meaning is potentially to be lurking beneath the surface of the story. But after two issues, I still have absolutely no idea what is going on with Mulder besides some type of ill-defined, unfocused possession. I expect a lot of questions to be raised during even the most standard X-Files story arc, but there’s got to be some type of coherent driving force behind them.
As it stands right now, X-Files #7 features a lot of really cool and excellently drawn scenes that feel like a scattered (and poorly constructed) jigsaw puzzle. That’s not a knock on Matthew Dow Smith’s paneling, either. In fact, his storytelling ability is one of the few things keeping me tethered to the otherwise incomprehensible arc.
Let’s hope that next month, writer Joe Harris fills in the beautiful blanks with something a bit more concrete and easier to grasp.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!