Are you reading Secret Empire? Well if you’re not, then too bad, because Amazing Spider-Man is tying into that cash cow and riding it all the way to the bank. Don’t worry, though—even if you’re not a fan of the event, we still get to see Doc Ock’s cool new redesign.
Writer: Dan Slott
Artist: Stuart Immonen
Publisher: Marvel Comics
First Read Reactions
- Spider-Man may be good in a brawl, but I’ll take Anna Maria on my side in a PR fight any day.
- Always nice when a trained assassin and your aunt are willing to publicly say how awesome you are.
- If there was ever a good reason for cutting an interview short, it’s a massive alien invasion of earth.
- To be far, most employees hate their bosses whether they’re secret Hydra sleeper agents or not.
- Wow, for someone so currently plugged into the international scene, Pete is pretty clueless about Hydra’s recent shenanigans.
- You know, I gotta say, Doc Ock makes a somewhat compelling argument for why Pete has no business running a corporation.
- Oh sure, let’s just leave the awesome fight for some exposition *sigh*
What started as a very strong issue fizzled out considerably towards the end.
After addressing Pete’s current P.R. nightmare (a little too easily) and giving us one hell of a good Spidey vs. Dr. Octopus fight, the fisticuffs are abandoned for one of the silliest reasons imaginable. I get that Peter feels a responsibility to help people, but staying and fighting Doc Ock (and subsequently reversing what he’s done) would have been a hell of a lot more useful than fleeing the scene at ghost Tony Stark’s beck and call.
On the plus side, Octavius’ new look is pretty badass. Whether you buy him becoming a field leader for Hydra or not, it’s definitely nice to have him back in fighting shape again. Let’s hope his updated look/body gets to throw down a bit more in this arc without anymore convenient exits.
Like what we do here at AIPT? Consider supporting us and independent comics journalism by becoming a patron today! In addition to our sincere thanks, you can browse AIPT ad-free, gain access to our vibrant Discord community of patrons and staff members, get trade paperbacks sent to your house every month, and a lot more. Click the button below to get started!