Eagle-eyed followers of Upper Deck’s Legendary: A Marvel Deckbuilding Game have learned to look for news of upcoming expansions in certain places, before official announcements are made. One of those places is GTS Distribution, a wholesaler that tends to put solicitation information up early for the benefit of their retail customers. This weekend, an entry for next month’s big box expansion, World War Hulk, appeared.
New Expansion Features:
• Expansion consists of 400 all new playable cards, Color Rule sheet.
• All New cards consist of 15 new Heroes! 7 new Villain groups! 6 new Masterminds! 3 new Henchman groups! New Schemes! New Bystanders!
• Introducing new heroes to Legendary: Gladiator Hulk, Joe Fix it, She-Hulk, Sentry, Hulkbuster Iron Man, and more!
• Fight against powerful Masterminds including Sentry, M.O.D.O.K., the Illuminati, and more!
• Return of popular card types like Traps, as well as introducing new Transformed cards – play as Bruce Banner, then transform into Savage Hulk!
• All cards contain original art!
• This is not a stand alone product, core set is required for gameplay.
This is a little surprising, for several reasons. The box art (shown in the featured image) doesn’t usually misrepresent the contents, so it’s probably fair to assume along with Gladiator Hulk, we’ll have playable versions of Miek, No-Name of the Brood, Elloe Kaifi, Hiroim and Korg. We’ve already seen Caiera and Hulkbuster Iron Man, and Amadeus Cho was previously announced, too.
It now seems that with Joe Fixit and a Savage Hulk, this expansion will not strictly adhere to the stories of Planet Hulk and World War Hulk. With only two Heroes of the 15 left unknown, could they be more Hulk opposition, to back up Iron Man, or more Hulk allies — like Transforming Rick Jones and General Ross?
And what’s with those Masterminds? First off all, Sentry is a Hero AND a Mastermind? The WHOLE Illuminati is a Mastermind? What Villain groups will these Masterminds lead? Solicits aren’t always 100% accurate; could there be a mistake here?
Either way, more Traps (first seen in last summer’s X-Men expansion) and a freaking M.O.D.O.K. MASTERMIND?! Please and thank you!
Like what we do here at AIPT? Consider supporting us and independent comics journalism by becoming a patron today! In addition to our sincere thanks, you can browse AIPT ad-free, gain access to our vibrant Discord community of patrons and staff members, get trade paperbacks sent to your house every month, and a lot more. Click the button below to get started!