“Many whelps! Handle them!”
The Battlegrounds are getting a big shake-up at the end of the month in the form of a brand-new Minion type: Dragons.
Galakrond and Renegos (Reno Jackson’s dragon form) will join the original five Dragon Aspects as Heroes alongside 18 new minions, a dozen of them Dragon-type. In the wake of these new Dragons, Professor Putricide and ten minions will be removed from the Battlegrounds temporarily for readjustment purposes.
Other game changes include the return of Archmage Khadgar as a playable Mage Hero in standard Hearthstone and an Arena rotation.
With the 16.4 patch on February 26, we’re adding Dragons as a new minion type to Battlegrounds! Galakrond and Reno Jackson, who recently spread his scaly wings for the first time as the mighty Renegos in Galakrond’s Awakening, will join the five original Dragon Aspects as new Heroes!
18 new minions will be added alongside them, 12 of which will be the new Dragon minion type. All but two of these minions are new to Hearthstone altogether, exclusive to Battlegrounds! You can read more about the Dragons update below.
We’re celebrating the first new minion-type in Battlegrounds with Twitch Drops! From February 26 at 11 a.m. PT – February 29 at 5:00 p.m. PT, watch 3 total hours of any Hearthstone stream on Twitch to get 1 Descent of Dragons card pack. Watch for 6 hours (consecutive or non-consecutive) to get another one! Watch time accumulates across the entire Hearthstone category, so long as your Battle.net and Twitch accounts are linked.
Link Your Accounts
Before you can receive awards, you’ll need to link your Twitch.tv and Battle.net accounts. Here’s how:
- Log in or create an account on Twitch.tv.
- Navigate to the Settings menu by clicking your account name in the top-right corner of the home screen.
- Navigate to the Connections tab of the Settings menu.
- Find the Battle.net section, then follow the instructions after selecting a region and clicking Connect.
- When connecting accounts, be sure that you’re currently logged into the Battle.net account on which you’d like to receive your rewards.
That’s the Spirit!
More celebrations are in order, as Hearthstone is turning six! To commemorate the occasion, we’ve planned a limited time anniversary event beginning March 4 that will bring special Tavern Brawls, a new legendary quest line, and a heaping helping of log-in rewards. Log in between March 4 at 10 a.m. PT – March 17 at 10 a.m. PT to receive 2 Rise of Shadows packs, 2 Saviors of Uldum packs, 2 Descent of Dragons packs, and the Year of the Dragon card back!
Mage Pack Bundle
For the first time ever, we’re offering a class-specific pack for a limited time! From February 26 – March 4 you can get 5 Mage Packs containing strictly Mage class cards from all expansions in Standard (The Witchwood, The Boomsday Project, Rastakhan’s Rumble, Rise of Shadows, Saviors of Uldum, and Descent of Dragons) for $9.99!
Khadgar Hero Set
Khadgar is back! For a limited time from February 26 – March 4, you can add the Archmage Khadgar to your collection for $9.99, complete with unique entrance and Hero Power animations, voiced emotes, and a thematic card back!
New Battlegrounds Heroes
- Galakrond’s Greed [Cost 1]: Replace a minion in Bob’s Tavern with a minion from a higher Tavern Tier.
- ALL Will Burn! [Passive]: ALL minions have +3 Attack.
- Dream Portal [Cost 1]: Refresh and add a Dragon to Bob’s Tavern.
- Clairvoyance [Passive]: Your first Refresh each turn costs (0).
- Arcane Alteration [Cost 0]: Replace a minion with a random one of the same Tavern Tier.
- Queen of Dragons [Passive]: After you upgrade Bob’s Tavern to Tavern Tier 5, Discover two Dragons.
- Gonna Be Rich! [Cost 4]: Make a friendly minion Golden (Once per game).
New Battlegrounds Minions
Battlegrounds Balance Changes
George the Fallen
- Boon of Light Hero Power cost reduced from 4 to 3.
Sneed’s Old Shredder
- Moved from Tier 6 to Tier 5.
- Old: 4/4 Beast, Whenever you summon a Beast, give it +4/+4 – New: 5/5 Beast, Whenever you summon a Beast, give it +5/+5.
Tavern Tier 6
- Starting cost of Tavern Tier 6 has been reduced to 10 Gold (down from 11).
Dev Insight: Tavern Tier 6 has a lot of exciting minions and we’d like players to have more of an opportunity to reach it than they have. We’re also trying to make Tavern Tier 6 more interesting by adding some of these powerful new minions.
- Professor Putricide
Dev Insight: We’d like to go back to the drawing board with Professor Putricide. We’re going to disable him for now to make way for our new Heroes, but you’ll likely see him return in the future with some changes.
- Shielded Minibot
- Mounted Raptor
- Phalanx Commander
- Tortollan Shellraiser
- Piloted Sky Golem
- Festeroot Hulk
- Sated Threshadon
Dev Insight: We’re removing some minions to help make room for the new minions. We also want to balance out the minion pool a bit. For example, there were way more Mechs in Battlegrounds than any other minion type. We’re also removing some of the minions that aren’t performing very well and ones that have generally been less exciting to play with.
- Speeding up animations from 0.8s > 0.2s across all game modes for Overkill, Lifesteal, Poisonous, Inspire, and cards that reference “Whenever” and “After” in their text, outside of some special cases.
- “Recruit” will no longer be displayed on the turn timer when a player is about to lose in Battlegrounds.
- Rafaam’s Hero Power will no longer trigger a Triple notification before you transition to the combat phase in Battlegrounds.
- Fixed a visual issue in which Golden Primalfin Lookout would sometimes display Golden Murloc cards.
- Fixed an issue where the scoreboard would not sort players correctly on the first turn if they conceded during the mulligan in Battlegrounds.
- Fixed an issue where the scoreboard could appear unsorted when reconnecting to a game in progress in Battlegrounds.
Starting March 4, the Arena will include cards from the following sets:
Are you excited for the additions of Dragons to Hearthstone‘s Battlegrounds? Which Dragon is your favorite? Sound off in the comments.
Like what we do here at AIPT? Consider supporting us and independent comics journalism by becoming a patron today! In addition to our sincere thanks, you can browse AIPT ad-free, gain access to our vibrant Discord community of patrons and staff members, get trade paperbacks sent to your house every month, and a lot more. Click the button below to get started!