Late last night the CEO and President of AMC Adam Aron messaged A-List and Stubs members in response to the Coronavirus. In the passionate letter, Aron is thoughtful and open-minded about America’s recovery from the pandemic listing off specific actions AMC theaters are taking to keep theatergoers safe.
If you don’t know AMC theaters tend to be assigned seating theaters that allow customers to pick their seats. The letter details how starting today through April 30 all theaters will have a 50% capacity to encourage social distancing. While the recommended distance is 6-feet, and this plan would allow only one seat between each patron amounting to 3-feet tops, it’s a start.
Along with this plan Aron detailed steps to ensure staff who are sick won’t be working–no word if they’d still be paid–and they’ll also be upping their cleaning protocols.
You can read the full letter from Adam Aron below.
To our valued A-List members, AMC Stubs members, and guests,
If you are like me, your email inbox has been flooded by communications from companies detailing their responses to the coronavirus. Before I share with you what we are doing at AMC Theatres, I want to take a moment to share with you an optimistic thought.
The challenge that this outbreak represents to you, and to your family, friends and community is likely not similar to anything you have seen before. All of us currently find ourselves having to process our way through uncertainty, understandable anxiety and heightened risk. At some point though, hopefully sooner rather than later, the world will return to normal. Throughout history, people have always risen to meet whatever challenges have been thrown their way — usually emerging stronger than ever.
What is most important now is that you stay safe and healthy. To that end, here is what AMC is doing to help ensure the safety and health of our moviegoers and theatre teams.
Earlier today, AMC announced our detailed plan to ensure a clean and healthy movie-watching environment for you at our U.S. theatres. Most importantly, we have taken bold nationwide action to encourage “social distancing.”LIMITING SEAT CAPACITY IN EVERY AMC AUDITORIUM
• To give you more empty space around you within our theatres, we are capping ticket availability to 50% of the normal seating capacity for every showtime in every auditorium at all AMC theatres nationwide. Once we hit 50% of an auditorium’s capacity, movie screenings will show as being Sold Out, even though by definition there will be a large number of unfilled seats. This will begin Saturday, March 14, and for now, will continue until April 30.
• For those AMC auditoriums with more than 500 seats, we will further reduce bookings to a maximum of 250 people in any case.
• And, it goes without saying that AMC is actively complying with all current and future federal, state and local authorities’ directives on social gathering.
ENHANCED THEATRE CLEANING
• AMC theatre teams are following AMC’s stringent health and safety cleaning protocols, which include that every auditorium is thoroughly cleaned between each and every showtime.
• In addition, AMC has instituted enhanced cleaning protocols, which ensure that at least once per hour within an AMC building, the theatre team is cleaning high-touch point areas, including: kiosks, counter tops, restroom areas, glass, handrails and doorknobs.
GUIDANCE FOR GUESTS AND THEATRE STAFF
• AMC has mandated that any theatre associate who feels ill is excused from work and should not come to the theatre.
• We urge all potential guests to stay at home and seek medical assistance if they are not feeling well.
As you may know, AMC Theatres was founded in 1920. For more than 100 years, we’ve taken great pride in making smiles happen every day at our movie theatres around the country. As we enter our second century, AMC remains firmly committed to offering you, as one of our most valued guests, a clean and healthy environment every time you come to enjoy movies at our theatres.
Like what we do here at AIPT? Consider supporting us and independent comics journalism by becoming a patron today! In addition to our sincere thanks, you can browse AIPT ad-free, gain access to our vibrant Discord community of patrons and staff members, get trade paperbacks sent to your house every month, and a lot more. Click the button below to get started!