Yesterday, Disney announced that sequel installments to their Star Wars and Avatar franchises would be pushed back a year due ongoing theater reopening concerns.
The Star Wars news doesn’t hit quite has hard since things continue to chug along on the television side of things (and we just had a new Bad Batch animated series announced).
The new Star Wars dates are as follows:
- Untitled Star Wars film #1 moves from Dec. 16, 2022 to Dec. 22, 2023
- Untitled Star Wars film #2 moves from Dec. 20, 2024. to Dec. 19, 2025
- Untitled Star Wars film#3 moves from Dec. 18, 2026. to Dec. 17, 2027
On the Na’vi front:
- Avatar 2 moves from Dec. 17, 2021, to Dec. 16, 2022
- Avatar 3 moves from Dec. 22, 2023, to Dec. 20, 2024
- Avatar 4 from Dec. 19, 2025, to Dec. 18, 2026
- Avatar 5 from Dec. 17, 2027, to Dec. 22, 2028
Good lord…they’re planning to make four more of these movies?
All joking (and my personal preferences) aside, it’s disappointing news for fans of both franchises. One group that did not mind this news, however, was Sony Pictures. A few hours after Disney’s announcement, they swung in to claim ‘Avatar 2’s previous release date (December 17, 2021) for their next Spider-Man movie.
Disney has also taken Mulan off their release calendar completely for the moment. While I’d love the chance to see this one on Disney+, the film is likely to get a new theatrical release in the near future.