The X-Men. The Children of the Atom. Perhaps no other characters in comics are as rooted in a scientific concept, or produce as many philosophical and ethical discussions. You had to know both those ideas would be explored in AIPT SciPhi-Fest.
Author of the popular book Human Errors: A Panorama of Our Glitches, from Pointless Bones to Broken Genes, Nathan will address what it really means to be the “next step in human evolution,” and just how removed from the rest of the population Marvel’s mutants really are.
Philosopher in Residence for Rutgers Honors College, and host of the podcasts Embrace the Void and Philosophers in Space, Aaron will make the case that if the X-Men can ensure the largest mutant population possible, then it’s their moral duty to do so. Who cares if they’re clones?
AIPT SciPhi-Fest goes down Sunday, July 18, and all it takes for you to join is internet access — AIPT SciPhi-Fest is 100% FREE! But if you’re finally crawling out from under isolation and actually doing the socializing thing, don’t worry. Many of our talks will be uploaded to YouTube at a later date.
We’re kicking things off at 10:00 am Eastern time with a Star Wars block of:
- PhD paleontologist Jim Lehane combining two of his favorite things in one talk — Star Wars and geology
- Psychologist and critical thinking professor Craig A. Foster explaining why in science, anecdotes are like Stormtroopers — it doesn’t matter how many you throw at a problem, they can’t get the job done
- Paranormal investigator Kenny Biddle comparing Force ghosts to “real” ghosts, in their behavior and how they interact with the world
- Caricature artist Celestia Ward demonstrating the concept of pareidolia, and how seeing things that aren’t there has caused faces on Mars and censorship of comics
- Archaeologist David S. Anderson digging into the “ancient aliens” origin of Jack Kirby’s Eternals
- Matt Brady, author of The Science of Rick and Morty!
Please find the Zoom link below (opens at 9:30 am Eastern on July 18; limited to 100 people!) and learn some stuff in the most fun way possible, at AIPT SciPhi-Fest!
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!