Something’s lurking in the waters of Almanzar Bay – and when Casey March tries out for the swim team, he learns firsthand that messing with the social order of his new high school can have dangerous – even deadly – consequences!
From Bram Stoker-Award nominated writer Rich Douek (Sea of Sorrows, Road of Bones) and artist Carlos Olivares, comes a new tale of horror and intrigue – where a group of high school outcasts band together to fight a growing evil in their school and town.
THE OCEAN WILL TAKE US #1
Writer: Rich Douek
Artist: Carlos Olivares
Colorist: Manuel Puppo
Letterer: Dave Sharpe
Cover: Carlos Olivares
Incentive cover: Hayden Sherman
/ $4.99 / 32 pages / Color /
Release Date: 4.06.2022
For more on The Ocean Will take Us, get a word from the creators below.
WHAT’S THE BOOK ABOUT AND WHY ARE YOU EXCITED FOR IT TO COME OUT?
“THE OCEAN WILL TAKE US is a supernatural/conspiracy mystery set in one of the most horrifying places on earth – high school! A gang of misfits in the ocean town of Almanzar learn that the local swim team is involved with what they think are performance-enhancing drugs – but in the quest to expose the team, our gang uncovers a conspiracy that threatens everyone they love, and maybe the entire world.”
WHAT WERE SOME OF YOUR INSPIRATIONS BEHIND CREATING THE BOOK?
“One big one was your classic 80s teen movies, like The Breakfast Club or The Karate Kid, and others are more recent teenage dramas like Buffy or Riverdale. I thought it would be really fun to take a group of teenage misfits dealing with all the drama of being in high school and throw them into a situation where the stakes are higher than they could ever have imagined.”
WHEN DID YOU FIRST HEAR ABOUT AFTERSHOCK AND DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE TITLE OF THEIRS?
“I was familiar with Mike (Marts) as a great editor at DC and Marvel, so I was paying attention to AfterShock from the very first announcement, where he was named as editor-in-chief. I’ve been consistently impressed by the books they put out, and while it’s not easy to name a single favorite, I’ve really enjoyed BEYOND THE BREACH, SCOUT’S HONOR, HOT LUNCH SPECIAL and UNDONE BY BLOOD.”
WHAT ARE (3) REASONS WHY COMIC FANS SHOULD PICKUP THIS BOOK?
“1) The art Carlos and Manuel are creating for this book is so great, I think people will be really into it once they see the pages. It’s got a style that’s very different from what I’m used to working in, which is really exciting to me – every page that hits my inbox just wows me.
2) If you know me and my writing, you know I love horror – and this book will not skimp on it, especially as the series goes on and we get a better sense of what these kids are up against.
3) Most importantly, we’ve all been having a great time putting this book together – and I hope that will come through when readers get a look at what we’re doing. It’s not only going to be a great book quality-wise, it’s going to be one hell of a fun read.”
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!