After an uneven yet intriguing first chapter, Weavers returns this week for its second issue. Is it good?
Weavers #2 (BOOM! Studios)
- Okay, this thing with people constantly changing the volume of their voice is really starting to get on my nerves.
- Messy/Supernatural Interrogation = Messy/Supernatural Catastrophe
- As much as I’d like to give Sid some praise for his restraint, it can’t be that difficult to turn away a woman with glowing red spider eyes who is also surrounded by ghosts.
- Huh. I guess Sid isn’t completely adverse to some risk.
- Yeah, I wouldn’t want to mess with that guy either.
Is It Good?
I want to like this series. I really do. It has so much going for it. The artwork is great and the overarching story is (so far) very cool. We also got a small nod to Lovecraft’s mythos, which is always a surefire way into my heart.
But the characters in Weavers are still too nebulous. Even the main protagonist (Sid) is a narrative enigma. I’m fine with a story that doesn’t have any good guys, but all the cool visuals and good dialogue in the world won’t make up for a lack of motivation or consistency in the casts’ interactions.
There’s also the lettering issue that I mentioned earlier. I get what the book is going for, but the script does a good enough job on its own of reading in a way that contains the natural rise and fall of a vocal cadence. There’s no need for the constant font changes, which became so distracting that it often took me out of the story.
All that being said, we do get some cool background information on the spiders. Perhaps next issue will weave all series’ elements together into something a little more coherent.
For now, though, Weavers remains a stylish collection of tangled threads.
Like what we do here at AIPT? Consider supporting us and independent comics journalism by becoming a patron today! In addition to our sincere thanks, you can browse AIPT ad-free, gain access to our vibrant Discord community of patrons and staff members, get trade paperbacks sent to your house every month, and a lot more. Click the button below to get started!