Another week, another issue of Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything. After last week’s deep dive into the time travel paradox, this one has quite a few plot threads to untangle.
Is it good?
Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything #3 (IDW Publishing)
- Okay, let’s pause things for a moment. See that chalkboard one of the characters used to explain divergent timelines in a single panel? Why not do something like that on a splash page (or even two page spread) instead of three pages of dialogue bubbles going back and forth about how confusing everything is? Just a thought…
- …and Renet saying “like” every few sentences isn’t helping matters, either.
- Nothing like some fisticuffs served up with a hearty helping of petty bickering.
- This fight would be a lot cooler if everyone just shut up.
- Okay, now this is pretty cool.
- Bad sign: When one of the characters complains about not understanding what’s going on and you totally agree with them.
Is It Good?
I think I’m gonna have to tap out on this one.
It’s a shame, because there really is a cool story buried away in here. Weaver’s script also provides some genuinely funny dialogue. I’d love to see his work on a plot that didn’t feel like my outdoor electrical cords tangled in a Gordian knot after the holidays.
The art is also great, particularly in the insane last few pages. The appearance of some of the characters feels pretty contrived, but the fantastic action (and how great the characters look) almost makes up for it.
Unfortunately, the story continues to become more of a chore to get through with every new issue. I’m fine with complex time travel stories, but not at the expense of a clear narrative. Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything #3 has a lot going for it, but its positive attributes are getting crushed like roadkill beneath a DeLorean’s tire.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!