This week, Cullen Bunn (w) and Carla Speed McNeil (a) begin a two-part story on the origins of The Abandoned (i.e. the coolest looking monster in the series).
Is it good?
Harrow County #17 (Dark Horse Comics)
- Oh wow. Horses running on the beach. That’s really beaut—GOOD LORD!
- Not sure who these witches are, but at least they don’t seem as evil/douchey as the ones Emmy just banished from Harrow County.
- Now that’s one hell of a bad day of fishing.
- I wish my town had an ‘Ol Christmas celebration.
- Not sure I could deal with all the kids wearing masks that looked like that, though.
Is It Good?
I was nervous when I saw that Tyler Crooke wouldn’t be drawing the origin story of my favorite haint. Thankfully, McNeil does a spectacular job, rendering him with all the menace we’ve come to expect along with a surprising amount of vulnerability.
As far as the story goes, I’m still not sure what to think. The ending is supposed to be shocking, but it was telegraphed halfway through the book. We also know that due to present circumstances, it won’t stick.
I do like the way Bunn writes The Abandoned, although the creature’s dialect makes it a bit hard to read at times. It’s also nice getting to watch him and Emmy interact for such an extended period of time without some sort of crazy interruption. I just wish we had a better idea of where the tale he’s telling her is heading.
As ambivalent as I am about the main story, however, the back up (written by Bunn and drawn by Owen Gieni) is incredible. It provided more terror in one page than the rest of Harrow County #17 managed in twenty-three. Still, I trust Bunn to make the set up we got pay off. The Abandoned wouldn’t allow his story to be told, otherwise.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!