Despite my current discontent with the main IDW title, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been a pleasant surprise. This week, we reach the third issue, which should provide a solid indicator if the book has real legs.
Is it good?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe #3 (IDW)
- Never a good sign when you wake up to Baxter Stockman wearing a mech suit and talking to himself…
- …and Raphael challenging a sarcastic mutant scorpion to duel.
- Okay, this scorpion character just officially became my spirit animal.
- HA! Name jokes with Baxter Stockman are the best.
- Raph might be a whiny brat sometimes, but he can also be an absolute badass.
- Have I mentioned how much I love this scorpion character?
- Holy $#@&. Things just got real.
- Raphael always picks the worst times for his existential crises.
- This could be trouble…
Is It Good?
Wow. This series is really, really good.
I guess that shouldn’t be a surprise with Paul Allor writing and Damien Couceiro on art. I’m still not sure what this series is supposed to accomplish besides being another TMNT title, but it might actually be fulfilling that duty better than the main one right now.
For starters, Couceiro gives us one of the coolest (and best paneled) action sequences we’ve seen from a Ninja Turtle book in a long time. The issue is full of kickass battle sequences, but the elevator scene (you’ll definitely know it when you see it) takes the cake.
On the story side of things, I can’t say enough how much I love Allor’s new Scorpion character, who we learn is named Zodi. Her sarcastic wit and biting commentary help keep the rest of the cast’s action and dialogue grounded…
…which we really could have used when Raphael interrupted an otherwise exceptional narrative with almost two whole page of whining. We get it, dude. You’re angry at the world and scared of being alone.
But other than that one (glaring) issue, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe #3 is great. Not only is the story good, but the stakes get raised in a very major and believable way. More importantly, it looks like we can safely mark this title down as a quality addition to the TMNT mythos.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!