It seems that Firefly crew has gone and gotten themselves in another pickle. As usual, their efforts to do some good in the ‘verse put them on the wrong side of a very bad situation. This week, we see if Mal & Co. can find a way to get things settled enough so they can resume searching for their captive friend.
Is it good?
Serenity: No Power in the ‘Verse (Dark Horse Comics)
- Having someone like River Tam on your team makes negotiations a heck of a lot easier.
- Hate to tell you this lady, but you already have an army.
- I’ve always wondered how Mal would feel about violent terrorism from the remnants of his side of the war. I don’t think I like the answer.
- Gotta love seeing Jayne get new clothes from his mom.
- Having a lot of people like River Tam makes things a heck of a lot more complicated…and kind of terrifying.
Is It Good?
As fun as it is seeing River Tam kick ass, the rest of the issue drags quite a bit. We’re hit with a large amount of exposition, including a big speech/dressing down of Simon by Captain Reynolds—which is usually a good thing. But while Chris Roberson nails Mal’s cadence and delivery, I honestly don’t see him taking the cold position that he did.
That being said, I do like that fact that we’re finally digging more into the program River was a part of before getting rescued by Simon. The idea of other (and more deadly) kids like her opens some terrifying/awesome narrative possibilities.
On the art side of things, Jeanty does his usual great work, particularly with River’s chaotic fight sequence. It’s hard to transfer the lethal quickness she had on screen to page, but he somehow pulls it off.
Let’s hope the next issue gives us a lot more of that and a lot less pontificating.
Like what we do here at AIPT? Consider supporting us and independent comics journalism by becoming a patron today! In addition to our sincere thanks, you can browse AIPT ad-free, gain access to our vibrant Discord community of patrons and staff members, get trade paperbacks sent to your house every month, and a lot more. Click the button below to get started!