Have you ever seen a bunch of animorphic Triceratops get angry? Well if not, you about to…
First Read Reactions
- Nothing puts a damper on your coup/assassination plans like bae showing up to talk some sense into you.
- You know, for a couple who are both badass warriors, Zom and Zog do an impressive job of talking through their differences in a healthy/constructive manner.
- Triceraton Fun Fact #1: The species may be ruthless on the battlefield, but you’ll be hard pressed to find a dissenting voice when whoever’s in charge calls for a revolution.
- Triceraton Fun Fact #2: See statement above about them being badass warriors.
- Triceraton Fun Fact #3: Despite the aforementioned badass warrior part, they can still write one hell of a farewell letter.
I wanted to like this issue a lot more than I did. The art is good and the story beats with a heart that is equal parts brutal and tragic.
(Yes, I just said that about something involving dinosaur soldiers. It’s been a rough month, so cut me some slack).
Unfortunately, it also feels very fragmented. There’s a lot left in the space between the panels or completely unsaid. In some cases, like the gorgeously choreographed outpost attack/farewell letter, it works great. Other times, though, it feels like we’re missing some significant chunks of connective narrative tissue.
And speaking of connections, maybe I just missed one, but I don’t understand what caused the major character disappearance/death.
All that said, however, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe #17 is still a very solid issue–and a welcome entry in the series’ continued upward trajectory.
Like what we do here at AIPT? Consider supporting us and independent comics journalism by becoming a patron today! In addition to our sincere thanks, you can browse AIPT ad-free, gain access to our vibrant Discord community of patrons and staff members, get trade paperbacks sent to your house every month, and a lot more. Click the button below to get started!