Warcraft III may have been originally released over 15 years ago, but Blizzard has announced that there is a new patch coming for the classic RTS. To celebrate, the company will hold a Warcraft III Invitational, including many of the best Warcraft III players on the planet. That answers the question of why many of them were hastily trying to obtain US visas recently.
The invitational will take place on February 27 and 28 on Twitch, featuring events such as Free-For-All, 4v4, and other "friendly competitions."
As for the patch itself, Warcraft III will for the first time include widescreen support. Other changes include balance updates and bug fixes.
Hail Warchiefs, Lichs, Commanders, and Keepers,
Warcraft III’s PTR is back and ready for your scrutiny. Join us in testing widescreen support, hero balance changes, and updates to Map Pools for 1’s, 2’s, 3’s, 4’s and Free-for-All. We’ve also added some experimental modes like 24 player support for custom games.
We hope you enjoy. We will be watching here for general feedback, the Editor thread for mapmaker feedback, and the Balance & Map Pool thread for that topic (details below).
Specific Changes & Improvements
– Widescreen Support
– Added bookends to the in-game interface
– Added black pillars in menus to prevent stretching
24 Player Support
– Game lobbies revised to support 24 players
– Team colors revised and expanded
– Color selection is an ongoing effort, feel free to leave specific suggestions with color codes
Balance & Map Pools
– Head here for details and focused discussion: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762006793#1
World Editor Upgrades
– Head here for details and focused discussion: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20761976724#1
– Clans may now be created
– Mac clients launch on 10.11 and beyond
– Unable to change resolutions in native fullscreen
– PTR only supports English version of the client
– This will be the last version to support Windows XP
– The Mac PTR client requires manually running the launcher to patch
Like what we do here at AIPT? Consider supporting us and independent comics journalism by becoming a patron today! In addition to our sincere thanks, you can browse AIPT ad-free, gain access to our vibrant Discord community of patrons and staff members, get trade paperbacks sent to your house every month, and a lot more. Click the button below to get started!