Some of the best characters in fiction have been women and girls. This is especially true in comics, as exemplified by Fandango’s recent survey.
It reveals people’s favorite female superheroes and villains in films, with Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman understandably topping the hero survey, while Cate Blanchett’s Hela tops the villain survey. The full lists are as follows:
Favorite Female Superhero Performances
1. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman (“Wonder Woman”)
2. Zoe Saldana as Gamora (“Guardians of the Galaxy”)
3. Letitia Wright as Shuri (“Black Panther”)
4. Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow (“The Avengers”)
5. Hailee Steinfeld as Spider-Gwen (“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”)
6. Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch (“Avengers: Age of Ultron”)
7. Evangeline Lily as The Wasp (“Ant-Man and the Wasp”)
8. Holly Hunter as Elastigirl (“The Incredibles”)
9. Dafne Keen as X-23 (“Logan”)
10. Zazie Beetz as Domino (“Deadpool 2”)
Favorite Female Supervillain Performances
1. Cate Blanchett as Hela (“Thor: Ragnarok”)
2. Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn (“Suicide Squad”)
3. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman (“The Dark Knight Rises”)
4. Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman (“Batman Returns”)
5. Kathryn Hahn as Doc Ock (“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”)
6. Rebecca Romijn as Mystique (“X-Men”)
7. Carrie Coon as Proxima Midnight (“Avengers: Infinity War”)
8. Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy (“Batman & Robin”)
9. Hannah John-Kamen as Ghost (“Ant-Man and the Wasp”)
10. Elena Anaya as Doctor Poison (“Wonder Woman”)
The survey also revealed that 95% would like to see more female superheroes in films, while 93% would like to see more female supervillains. Fandango Correspondent Alicia Malone said ”As we begin to celebrate Women’s History Month, movie fans are selecting Gadot’s Wonder Woman, Saldana’s Gamora and Wright’s Shuri as their favorite superhero embodiments of female strength and empowerment.
“With Blanchett’s role as Hela landing in the top spot for female supervillains, it’s clear that fans love to see masterful performers bringing to light the wickedest of characters”. Be sure to check out FandangoNOW to watch the top female superhero and villain performances in a special curated list.
Like what we do here at AIPT? Consider supporting us and independent comics journalism by becoming a patron today! In addition to our sincere thanks, you can browse AIPT ad-free, gain access to our vibrant Discord community of patrons and staff members, get trade paperbacks sent to your house every month, and a lot more. Click the button below to get started!