This week brings us the conclusion of BOOM! Studios’ first big Buffyverse event. Let’s see how are favorite slayer and vampire with a soul wrap things up, shall we?
Snappy Spoiler-Lite Recap
- “Let’s dance, Hellmom.”
- Never thought I needed–or would enjoy–a Buffy/Drusilla team up, yet here we are.
- Always nice when all your friends conveniently show up to the party.
- This version of Cordelia is way too happy about visiting hell.
- …and of course we have to get the clones involved.
- Wait, what? When did that character die??
- Good to see this version of Anya still lacks social skills, but is all kinds of smart.
- Geez…how many slayers are there?
I really wanted to like this limited series — and not just because I’m a Buffy fan. Marco Renna’s art is fantastic. His attention to detail is equally keen during subtle, character-driven moments as it is during insane action sequences.
On the script side of things, Jordan Bellaire totally gets the voices these characters should have. Even the ones who are significantly different from their television series counterparts feel delightfully authentic.
In the end, though, the overarching story fell flat. The Hellmother never seemed like anything special. Sure, she was powerful, but not strong enough to withstand being kicked and punched a bunch of times before a novice magic user figures things out on the fly.
Add in a coda that confused the heck out of people who don’t read the regular Buffy series (like me), and Hellmouth didn’t do much for me. I would, however, love to see this creative team on separate project not tied to a crossover event. Maybe there might be another slayer (or three) whose story is worth exploring….
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!
You must be logged in to post a comment.