In a press release yesterday, HBO announced that it would be releasing a smorgasbord of content for free on its HBO NOW and HBO GO streaming services starting today (April 3) –all without a subscription requirement.
The official statement reads in part:
To provide some entertainment relief for those doing their part to keep everyone safe and healthy in this time of social isolation, HBO is making almost 500 hours of top programming available to stream for free for a limited time on HBO NOW and HBO GO–without a subscription–starting this Friday, April 3. The list of free programming includes every episode of nine iconic HBO series such as The Sopranos, Veep, Six Feet Under and The Wire; major Warner Bros. blockbusters from HBO’s current catalog like Pokémon Detective Pikachu, The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part and Crazy, Stupid, Love; and 10 riveting HBO documentaries and docu-series including McMillion$ and The Case Against Adnan Syed.
All of the programming will be available to stream without a subscription starting Friday by downloading the HBO NOW or HBO GO apps or by visiting HBONOW.com or HBOGO.com. The content will also be made available for free via participating distribution partners’ platforms in the coming days. This is the first time HBO has made this volume of programming available outside of the paywall on HBO NOW & HBO GO.
Viewers can join the conversation and participate in interactive stunts throughout this offering by following @HBO on Twitter and Instagram and sharing the hashtag #StayHomeBoxOffice.
Let’s take a look at all the offerings.
- Ballers (5 Seasons)
- Barry (2 Seasons, Current)
- Silicon Valley (6 Seasons)
- Six Feet Under (5 Seasons)
- The Sopranos (7 Seasons)
- Succession (2 Seasons, Current)
- True Blood (7 Seasons)
- Veep (7 Seasons)
- The Wire (5 Seasons)
You’re probably well aware of how good The Sopranos and The Wire are, but don’t sleep on Veep. Julia Louis Dreyfus doesn’t just break the Seinfeld curse–she smashes it, leading seven seasons of one of the best comedy series in the last two decades.
I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve never seen any episodes of Six Feet Under, so maybe we can all binge that one together.
Documentaries & Docuseries
- The Apollo
- The Case Against Adnan Syed
- Elvis Presley: The Searcher
- I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter
- The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley
- Jane Fonda in Five Acts
- True Justice: Bryan Stevenson’s Fight for Equality
- United Skates
- We Are the Dream: The Kids of the MLK Oakland Oratorical Fest
If you’re a fan of the original Serial podcast, then The Case of Adnan Syed is a definite watch. Also, if half of what I’ve read about the McDonald’s Monopoly scandal is true, then McMillion$ is sure to be a wild ride.
- Arthur 2: On the Rocks
- Blinded By the Light
- The Bridges of Madison County
- Crazy, Stupid, Love
- Empire of the Sun
- Forget Paris
- Happy Feet Two
- Isn’t It Romantic?
- The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
- Midnight Special
- My Dog Skip
- Nancy Drew And The Hidden Staircase
- Pokémon Detective Pikachu
- Red Riding Hood
- Sucker Punch
All of these are either movies I haven’t seen or did not care for except The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part, which was fantastic. Much like the original Lego Movie, it’s highly entertaining for children of all ages and adults.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!