On Saturday, the long awaited trailer for Space Jam: A New Legacy premiered. In this installment, LeBron James will be forced to play basketball with Bugs Bunny and the Tune Squad in an effort to free his son (who doesn’t want to play basketball) from the clutches of an A.I. Don Cheadle.
Hijinks and life lessons about the importance of family and being true to yourself are sure to follow. There’s also a great remix of the original Space Jam theme along with some surprisingly gorgeous animation. What really hits you about the trailer, however, are the insane number of major cameos.
Before we dive into who showed up in the trailer, please don’t take my cynical tone as an indication that I’m not all types of excited about this movie. As a child of the ’90s, I absolutely cannot wait for every predictable yet beautifully executed story beat along with all those sweet hits of nostalgia, which New Legacy is definitely going all in on.
Now let’s see who and what we can spot:
- 0:35: LeBron James passes through Westeros from Game of Thrones on his way to the Warner Bros “Server World.”
- 0:37: He also passes through the Land of Oz from The Wizard of Oz, which includes a brief spin inside a Kansas tornado.
- 1:16: We see a world set in the universe of the 1941 film noire, Maltese Falcon…
- 1:17: …followed immediately by DC comics world/multiverse featuring Metropolis and Gotham City.
- 1:38-1:45: The Scooby-Doo Mystery Machine nearly gets flattened by the Iron Giant. Then one of the dragons from Game of Thrones (which appears to be Drogon) swoops over a Hanna-Barbera convoy consisting of the Flintstones, Yogi Bear & Co., Jabberjaw, Captain Caveman, the Jetsons, and Magilla Gorilla. The scene is capped off with an epic landing by King Kong.
- 1:46: Don Cheadle is going to look at more surprised when he realizes Pennywise the Clown is creeping behind him at the far right of the frame–especially when the only buffer he’s got between himself and the deadlights is one of the flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz.
- Behind the monkey is someone who appears to be the Nun/Valak from The Conjuring franchise (an odd choice for a kid’s movie).
- Keeping with the horror theme, Baby Jane from 1962’s Whatever Happened to Baby Jane is on the left side of the frame and definitely enjoying herself.
- This shot also appears to have someone who could be the Batman villain Mr. Freeze standing near the center of the frame. Speaking of Batman villains…
- 1:53: Jack Nicholson’s Joker can be seen standing next to one of the War Boys from Mad Max: Fury Road on the center right of the frame.
- Catwoman (from the Adam West’s Batman series) is a few feet to the left.
- On the far right are a couple of goons from the 1966 Adam West Batman movie.
- Robin is standing under the basket ready to grab a rebound or a crowbar to the face.
- Jabberjaw also pops up once again, this time accompanied by Gloop and Gleep (the green blobs) from The Herculoids.
- Gloop and Gleep are joined by their towering Herculoids co-star, Igoo.
- 2:07: In the far left corner we can see The Mask along with 1966 Batman‘s Penguin hanging with his counterpart from 1992’s Batman Returns.
- A purple brontosaurus/bronto-car from the Flintstones peeks its head into frame above them. (I know people this this is Dino, but he’s way too big).
- The Scooby Gang and their van can be also be seen on the left along with Peter Potamus soaring above everyone in his flying balloon craft (and likely asking anyone nearby if they got that thing he sent them.)
- 2:23: On the far right in the background we see the Thundercats’ Cheetara cheering on the proceedings. If you squint hard enough, you can make out Lion-O‘s torso behind her.
- A few spaces to her left are Dyno-Mutt and Blue Falcon. In the foreground, we see some knights who could be from Monty Python, but I’m not sure.
- To their left is another Mad Max Warboy along with Zoolander and the droogs from A Clockwork Orange (another odd inclusion for what’s supposed to be a kid’s movie).
- Straight ahead is the Scooby Gang again along with Captain Caveman.
- Standing directly in front of the Flintstones’ bronto-car is the Night King from Game of Thrones, a white walker, and the zombified Billy Butcherson from Hocus Pocus. Behind them is Mama Fratelli from The Goonies.
I still can’t identify the cowboys to the left of center, which is haunting me way worse than it should. If any of you are able to identify them–or spotted any that I missed–please don’t be shy about pointing it out and mercilessly mocking my pop culture geek cred.
Space Jam: A New Legacy will premiere July 16 in theaters and streaming on HBO Max.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!