On Sunday evening, someone managed to leak the long awaited trailer for Sony’s Spider-Man: No Way Home on the internet. Before you start searching for it, however, you should know that it was an extremely low quality video capture recorded from a phone and featured unfinished visual FX — not exactly the best way to watch it, but still better than anything we’ve gotten with less than four months until the movie’s premiere on December 17.
You probably won’t be able to find it, anyway. Video and images from the leak have been getting removed from all social media platforms by Sony and Disney with phenomenal haste (and a great deal more concern than Disney’s ever shown about unlicensed use of the Punisher logo by law enforcement). The video also had a watermark featuring the name of a VFX artist who has worked with Marvel Studios before. After tonight, though, the dude is probably going to have to go into hiding from Disney and Sony’s lawyers.
Before you ask, we won’t be posting any screencaps or surviving video links here. Much as everyone at AIPT wants you having access to the trailer, none of us wants to wake up in the middle of the night to find an anthropomorphic mouse standing over our beds with a baseball bat.
What we can do, however, is give you a few key takeaways we had after squinting hard enough to make out what was on the screen. Once again, the video was extremely low quality, so this won’t be terribly detailed.
- Peter and MJ immediately start dealing with the fallout of Mysterio framing Spider-Man for his murder and revealing his secret identity to the world.
- Peter meets with a lawyer who looks very much like Charlie Cox in his Matt Murdock persona. This could absolutely be wishful thinking on my part, but plenty of others saw the same thing. It’s also been strongly rumored that Cox’s Matt Murdock/Daredevil would show up in this film.
- Peter meets with Doctor Strange and asks him to cast a spell to make people forget he’s Spider-Man. Strange agrees despite Wong’s warning not to do it.
- Peter interrupts Strange during the spell to ask if some people (like his Aunt May, Ned, and MJ) can still retain the knowledge of his secret identity.
- This interruption or some other factor causes everything with the spell to go wonky.
- The trailer ends with Alfred Molina as Doctor Octopus (whose role in the film has been confirmed) saying “Hello, Peter…”
Let’s hope last night’s leak means that the official trailer will be coming this week.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!