Recently Blizzard delivered an Overwatch patch that provided some major changes to Sombra. Players’ prayers were answered in that her ultimate ability, EMP, is no longer blocked by small objects (finally!). In addition to fine tuning her ultimate, Sombra’s other abilities also received modest changes across the board. Hack’s cast time was reduced and now affects more heroes’ abilities, translocators duration was increased by five seconds and enemy health bars are now visible when health drops below 100% (formerly 50%). There were also other minor changes that were by in large seen by the Overwatch community as a buff to the hero.
Well it’s been less than a month since those changes were made, and it looks like Blizzard isn’t done fine tuning Sombra just yet. On Wednesday evening Overwatch developer Geoff Goodman responded to a post titled “Sombra nerf when?” on the official Overwatch forums. The posts author expressed frustration over being hacked by Sombra from behind a wall and provided video evidence to support his claim.
Goodman had this to say:
“We’re making some more changes to Sombra next patch to address these issues. There are two main changes coming:
1. Any time Sombra’s hack is interrupted by damage, hacking will go on cooldown for 2 seconds. With this change, Sombra will have to be more careful about choosing when and who to hack instead of just holding down the button and waiting for people to miss and/or reload etc.
2. There is currently a 0.1s window of time at the end of the hack where it cannot be canceled via line of sight or other effects (such as Tracer’s recall, Zarya bubbles, etc). This exists so it doesn’t constantly get broken by very small line of sight blockers such as light posts and signs, etc. We are removing this window and instead now using multiple LOS checks to make sure the small LOS blockers are still not a problem. In addition to this, we’re speeding up the update rate of her hacking so that it is more responsive in checking for these fail conditions. The combination of these things means it should be much more reasonable to respond to a hack targeting you.
The intent of all of her recent changes is still to increase her overall strength and viability. We’re keeping a close eye on her to make sure she lands in a good place.”
So far the community seems to be split down the middle on the changes, with some players praising the changes and others claiming the hero is overpowered and these changes will only make her even more so. Blizzard tells us they’re keeping a close eye on Sombra and we’ll have to trust them to do so. At the very least, hopefully players can see the changes in action on the PTR before they go live.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!