This weekend, Borys Kit of the Hollywood Reporter revealed the main cast and directorial team for Agatha: Coven of Chaos, which begins filming this week in Atlanta. We’ve already had some unofficial reveals about the upcoming WandaVision spinoff (like Audrey Plaza being involved), but this is the first official confirmation we’ve gotten…and there may have been some major news that slipped in, as well.
According to Kit’s report, the following folks will be returning from WandaVision:
- Kathryn Hahn as Agatha Harkness
- Asif Ali as Norm/Abilash Tandom, Vision’s coworker
- Brian Brightman as The Sheriff/Miller
- Emma Caulfield Dottie/Sarah Proctor, Westview’s Queen Bee
- Kate Forbes as Evanora Harkness, Agatha’s deceased mother
- Amos Glick as Dennis, the pizza delivery man
- David Payton as Herb/John Collins, the Maxmimoff’s neighbor
- Debra Jo Rupp Ms. Hart/Sharon Davis, the wife of Vision’s boss, Arthur Hart
While adding so many supporting members from the Westview Anomaly isn’t surprising, Evanora Harkness was killed by Agatha when she took out the rest of the Salem Coven in 1693. While this likely means we’ll see her in flashbacks (especially in a series centered around Agatha and her backstory), it could also indicate that Evanora will potentially find a way to return to the present.
As for the other characters, the series probably won’t revert them to their Westview personas except for a flashback.
The newcomers to Agatha‘s cast will include:
- Aubrey Plaza
- Maria Dizzia (The Staircase)
- Miles Gutierrez-Riley (The Wilds)
- David Lengel as Phil (Bosch)
- Joe Locke (Heartstopper)
- Patti LuPone (The Comedian, American Horror Story: NYC)
- Okwui Okpokwasili (The Blacklist)
- Sasheer Zamata (Home Economics, Spree)
According to extremely reliable scooper Murphy’s Multiverse, the casting calls for Agatha indicate that Joe Locke and Miles Gutierrez-Riley will portray Wiccan and Hulkling, respectively, during their pre-power couple days.
We still don’t know who Aubrey Plaza is playing, but it’s a safe bet she’ll be the series’ primary antagonist.
WandaVision head writer and executive producer Jac Schaeffer will fill the same role for Agatha while directing many of the show’s episodes. She’ll be joined in the series’s collective director chair by Gandja Monteiro (Wednesday) and Rachel Goldberg (Resident Evil, American Gods).
Agatha: Coven of Chaos is scheduled to premiere in late 2023 as a nine-episode series. It will stream exclusively on Disney+.
Join the AIPT Patreon
Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as:
- ❌ Remove all ads on the website
- 💬 Join our Discord community, where we chat about the latest news and releases from everything we cover on AIPT
- 📗 Access to our monthly book club
- 📦 Get a physical trade paperback shipped to you every month
- 💥 And more!